Esta web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para recopilar información que ayuda a optimizar la visita, aunque en ningún caso se utilizan para recoger información de carácter personal.

Más información Política de cookies

Non Resident Guidance

Non Resident Guidance

The following information is intended for non EU (including UK) visitors to Gaucin, this includes non resident property owners and holiday makers.

Schengen rules for our frequent visitors:
If you are not an EU citizen and are not officially a resident in Spain but you frequently visit Gaucín you should be aware of the Schengen rules that may restrict your travel plans. You should also be aware of the required documentation to enter Spain as part of the Schengen zone as well as how travel movements are monitored.

Schengen Calculator
All non-EU visitors should know that they can only stay in the EU Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 in 180 days, including any travel days (e.g. driving through France). Check how long you have stayed in the EU Schengen zone, (and preferably around Gaucin!) with this handy calculator:

2. Entry Exit System (a smart border system for the EU) Effective from May 2023
The Entry/Exit System (EES) will be an automated IT system for registering travellers from third-countries, both short-stay visa holders and visa exempt travellers, each time they cross an EU external border. The system will register the person's name, type of travel document, biometric data and the date and place of entry and exit. It is planned to be operational by May 2023. A brief introduction to EES:

3. ETIAS (European Travel Information & Authorisation System) Effective from May 2023
Whilst the EES above will track your movements as you cross external borders to the Schengen zone, ETIAS is a visa scheme that will be part of your travel preparation. It works in a similar way to other visa-waiver schemes.
How does it work?
Visit the ETIAS website (the system will be available on desktop, tablet or mobile) at least 96 hours before departure

Complete the application form online and pay the fee and after the system makes rapid online checks against various EU information systems your ETIAS will be issued within minutes (PDF via email).
The authorisation lasts for 3 years (or until expiry date of passport) and can be used for multiple entries of less than 90 days.

4. Health Cover Since the UK left the EU
Emergency medical cover has changed from the EHIC to the GHIC, and, as always, the recommendation for comprehensive travel insurance alongside the GHIC remains:

5. Non Resident homeowners and the Padron
If you are a home owner but are a non resident and non EU citizen (including UK) then you should be aware that it is not obligatory be on the town hall padron. For UK citizens remaining on the padron it may cause some issues with the traffic police and the Spanish tax agency (Hacienda), especially since Brexit. If you decide to de-register  from the Padron then you can do so easily by going to the town hall with your passport and proof of address (old Padron Certificate/ copy of a utility bill).